Please. Although WebM is a promising format, it's not available yet. The
Java fallback is a solution even worse than just using Fash, so if we want
to get with this century, I believe we have to hold our noses and adopt a
modern format.

http://blog.lizardwrangler.com/2012/03/18/video-user-experience-and-our-mission/

> Is it time for us to think about H.264 encoding on our own videos?
>
> Right now users of millions of mobile phones and tablets have no access to
> our audio and video content, and our old desktop fallback of using a Java
> applet is unavailable.
>
> In theory we can produce a configuration with TimedMediaHandler to produce
> both H.264 and Theora/WebM transcodes, bringing Commons media to life for
> mobile users and Apple and Microsoft browser users.
>
> What do we think about this? What are the pros and cons?
>
> -- brion

Sent from my iPad