Hi. I'm going to combine replies just so I don't hit wikitech-l a dozen
times.

Petr Bena wrote:
> I created a search engine for irc logs, it works much faster than
> current engine and it's written in php. I will send a source code
> soon.
>
> http://bots.wmflabs.org/~wm-bot/searchlog/

Fantastic! It seems to be much better than the old search. :-)

> I don't understand html, so output is ugly. If someone wants to help
> to improve it, let me know.

You've got an XSS vulnerability in the current script. You need to escape
all output! In this case, you need to be sure to escape quotation marks in
particular.

Bergi wrote:
> Cool. I didn't know that there had already been an engine?

Yes, I hacked one up some time ago. It lives at
<https://toolserver.org/~mwbot/>.

Petr Bena wrote:
> Yes there is some python script, but it always took so long for it to
> search something that I always decided to just close browser (10+
> minutes to execute search)

Yes, it's just a very simple (and quite hackish) Python CGI wrapper for the
operating system's grep. As the logs have grown, grepping has taken longer
and longer. Plus the results truncation is done at the Python level, not the
grep level, so a search with a lot of results takes much longer to return
results, as I recall. A proper search index is going to be much better. :D

MZMcBride