Forwarded to legal.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kevin Israel
Date: Tuesday, March 20, 2012
Subject: [Wikitech-l] WURFL licensing concerns and Git migration
To: wikitech-l@lists.wikimedia.org

Our MobileFrontend extension, which is currently deployed on Wikimedia
sites, uses WURFL to detect the mobile devices it targets. However, I
recently became aware the version of the WURFL data files we use has a
rather restrictive license.

The license seems to suggest we are not even supposed to redistribute
verbatim copies or install the data files on multiple servers rather
than only making "[...] one copy [...]", if not merely fail to grant
such permission. Currently, the files are in our Subversion repository
and are going to end up in Git soon.

I am not a lawyer, and I realize this is probably a matter for the
Wikimedia Foundation to handle, albeit one of urgent importance to us.
If I am not mistaken, proper removal of infringing material from Git
repositories is somewhat painful in that it causes all child SHA-1
hashes to change, so I feel resolution of the above licensing concern
blocks Git migration of at least the MobileFrontend extension.

--
Wikipedia user PleaseStand
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:PleaseStand

Sent from my iPad