>> Rob Lanphier <ro...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Chad <innocentkil...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Actually, you should never merge to master without accepting that it
>>> may get scapped.  Why have two layers here?
>>>

>> Well true, but I still don't see an instance where you'd merge
>> to master but *not* be willing to have it deployed.
>
> Chad and I discussed this, and I think we figure out where we were
> talking past each other.  I'll let him explain in more detail when he
> gets a chance, but the short answer is we'll probably be doing
> something roughly like I described as the second plan in my original
> email, with the addition of liberal use of tagging.  We could even
> *try* to get away with tagging instead of branching, and then only
> branch when necessary.

How "git committers" (i.e. mere mortals) will be able to propose
changes to be deployed in wmf production (a.k.a. "1.19wmf1" tag
in [[Special:Code]]?

If we plan to use gerrit for that (submitting commits for review
in the "wmf" branches by the means of refs/for/wmf-something),
I would ask for one thing - can we full go end-to-end and test
the workflow with actual commands?

I have noticed potential issues with gerrit+git combination vs
pure git workflow:

* It seems I can't have a longer running branch with my
  changes on some topic - those commits cannot be easily
  submitted to gerrit (since my branch will likely
  contain merges from master and we don't want't them
  to be resubmitted via the dependency tree)

* It seems necessary to change "Change-Id" everywhere
  for "git cherry-pick" to work without -n - it seems
  that cherry-pick does not invoke our commit-msg hook
  when committing. Neither does "git merge".

Those things limit possibilities in moving commits
between branches (official or local ones), so I think
it would be good to review the process in the test tree
using some actual commands (and with some test users
that don't have privilege to cross the gated trunk
involved).

More on the second case in separate thread.

//Saper