Something on password rate limits has been on my mind ever since watching one of the Security Now episodes. Rather than cut-off rate limits isn't it a better experience to use something with a slow exponential/compound increase

Think about the case where the user has forgotten their password, they remember its probably one of 6 passwords and they don't want to bother resetting the password. They start trying out their passwords, but once they it that last password and are thinking (right, this HAS to be the one I used) they get hit with an error saying that all of a sudden they have to wait 5 whole minutes.

Something instead based on increasing wait time a bit each time seams like if tuned right could be a better experience.

- By the time the user hits their 5th password the wait time may have reached 1min.
- That last password is only a tiny bit more than the wait they just had.
- It's still secure, brute forcing takes a lot of tries. So even though we don't punish bots much for their first few tries, as they continue it just gets worse and worse for them. By the time they hit a mere 100 they could be waiting a half-hour before they can continue instead of simply 5min. - Wait times below a certain threshold (one that the first 5 or so tries would be below) could be either ignored or handled with sleep() so that instead of forcing a discouraging error message on a user and making the user do time tracking (something that is trivial for bots, so this is an unhelpful negative to user experience) the login page only feels like it's a little sluggish.