I also think it makes more sense to store this in our git. Specailly now
that it's a young project.

Everything with the same version system makes much more sense.

Also, I find the addition of MediaWiki 1.18.1 in r5 quite confusing.
That's not what was.

I'd make a branch of wikiHow releases, another of patches to their base
version (ie. how they evolved) and a new one of "improved version for
wikiHow", which would be a merge of recent MediaWiki with their patches.

I'm not sure about the best way to handle their extensions, though.
Maybe by replicating the same approach with a repository per extension.

Currently, diff -ur wikihow-src wikihow-read-only/wikiHow/ contains lots
of unrelated changes.
How is one expected to make sense of it?