On Apr 5, 2012, at 1:40 AM, Platonides wrote:

> Hello all,
> I'm presenting a GSOC proposal for a native desktop
> application designed for mass uploading files on
> upload campaigns.
>
> This follows the call by Odder at [1] for such a tool,
> and indeed the scope of the tool would be tailored to
> WikiLovesMonuments.
>
> The deliverable is such an application, which shall be:
> * A tiny autocontained program (probably in C++), with
> different versions for each target operating system.
> * Configurable defaults for uploading to Wikimedia Commons
> own images as cc-by-sa with given templates and categories.
> * The user shall be able to change the license / categories
> if needed.
> * Request the monument id for the image.
> * Validation of the monument identifier through a web
> service if available and time permits.
> * Basic documentation of the competition (rules and FAQ)
> * Contains the WLM logo somewhere.
> * Localisable through translatewiki.net for at least the
> 28 countries of [2]
> * Save configuration of images description for later upload.
> * Asynchronous upload of the images in the background.
>
> Opinions? Improvements? Sexy names? Mentors?
>
> All of them are welcome!
>
> 1-
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikilovesmonuments/2012-March/002538.html
> 2-
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Wiki_Loves_Monuments_2012/Participating_countries

Blame me for loving front-end technology, but maybe one of these ideas
are useful to you:

* Not WLM specific internally, please (instead it could come with a
  number of modes, possibly extendable with plugins)

* Perhaps not a desktop application at all (nothing more mobile and
  future proof than the web[1]). Something like a MediaWiki extension or a
  standalone web application. Or extend / improve UploadWizard.

* If none of these, perhaps you can be persuaded to go for a hybrid,
  look at Adobe AIR. With AIR you can use HTML/CSS/JS but not deal with
  traditional web browsers. Instead it runs as a native application, also
  very flexible and cross-OS. And no cross-browser issues since the only
  engine it'd run on is that of AIR (uses WebKit). With AIR it still has
  most desktop application possibilities such as caching files locally,
  updating the application periodically, storing preferences, accessing
  the file system, details I/O and up/download uploading/progress
  meters etc.

-- Krinkle

[1] disclaimer, disclaimer, ..