Le 08/04/12 14:44, Daniel Friesen wrote :
> We're using gerrit now. And as we use it we all keep running into issues
> stemming fundamentally from how gerrit is designed.
<snip>

Hello Daniel,

We already had the experience of writing a code review tool from scratch
and although it filled a need at that time, I am not going to regret it.

I do not think the foundation should fund the project of writing a new
app from scratch which probably nobody else will use anyway and based on
a niche Framework which is MediaWiki.  Instead we should  stick to
reuses existing tools and have them enhanced to fit our needs, writing a
whole new app should be a solution of last resort.

Before starting to write code in a rush, your really first step should
be to find out what is *functionally* wrong with Gerrit and find out
what we need.  I have yet to find out anyone describing what is wrong
with Gerrit although we all have a sentiment that the UI is confusing
and some obvious technical issues.  They do not justify a rewrite in my
opinion.

Once you have a list of requirements, though, we could look at the
possibility of fixing Gerrit to fit our needs. If that is not possible,
we could use that list as a basis to find out another tool.  You could
coordinate with John Du Hart who has been working on Phabricator, a
suite of tools from Facebook which include a code review tool as I
understand it.  Other examples that comes to mind are GitHub and Gitorious.

Meanwhile, dont waste your time coding something we are most certainly
never going to use.

cheers,

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso