+1 to all the points for using return values.

If we have to implement an output buffer in Lua, we have probably
failed. Output buffering is is messy and prone to error. It's certainly not
a good design from a usability standpoint, and it's generally messy to deal
with.

Template invocations should be the equivalent to calling a pure function.

- Trevor