On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 7:57 AM, Jon Robson <jrob...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Solutions I have thought about so far involve the following. I am yet
> to conclude on which is the best way to do this so would really
> appreciate discussion...
>
> 1) scrubbing all inline styles

You mean removing them? That isn't super-expensive I suppose but would
damage some content by removing relevant styles.

> 2) scrubbing certain inline styles
> #########################
> * I could imagine us scrubbing any inline styles which have not been
> marked as mobile safe (e.g. anything with a class 'mobilesafe' keeps
> its inline style) - this at least allows editors to use pretty styles
> and encourages checking their styles on mobile

Are more styles damaging or legit? How do we know? I'd encourage keeping
all styles by default except for ones known to cause trouble...

> 3) disallowing inline styles in wikitext output

Kills backward compatibility with existing pages, so I'd recommend against
this.

> ** one could imagine pages/templates being able to maintain their own
> stylesheets for desktop and mobile to allow customisations

^^^ this would be very useful!

4) educating editors better about ensuring their styles work on mobile
> #############################################
> I'm not sure how effective/sustainable this would be and how we'd go
> about doing this... but would be keen to hear your thoughts around it.

Education is tough, but setting good examples in usage and documentation
always helps. Most styles are probably cut-n-pasted from elsewhere, so the
more we fix, the more new things will be fixed.

An example that I made a little effort on is the layout of portal pages. I
manually fixed up a number of portals (but not all! there's more to go),
giving them *inline styles* if any that were mobile-safe, and then using
*global styles* in MediaWiki:Common.css to provide for multi-column-style
layouts on large screens. I also redid some of the templates from using
tables to floats or inline-blocks that fit both large and small screens
reasonably.

Especially if this can be combined with <script> blocks attached to
templates -- and thus not forced to be manually rewritten -- I think that's
the way to go.

-- brion