Thanks for the feedback Platonides.

>> Would requiring Python, GIMP and PyMOL to be installed on the server be
>> workable for a WMF MediaWiki deployment?

> Not ideal, but is probably workable. Still much better than relying (and
> potentially DDOSing) on a third party.
> If you could drop GIMP requirement, that'd be even better (why is it
> needed?).

A small script that hooks into GIMP API methods is used to tidy up PNGs
output by the PyMOL molecular visualization program.  The PyMOL images are
originally output with a lot of extraneous whitespace.  Specifically, the
script takes in a PNG and outputs an autocropped image with 50 pixels of
whitespace around the subject -- e.g.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Protein_FOXP2_PDB_2a07.png.  The script:
https://code.google.com/p/pdbbot/source/browse/trunk/crop-and-pad-pdb.scm.

ImageMagick seems like it might also have the ability to programmatically
autocrop an image and add a certain padding around the subject.  I'll look
into that and substitute an ImageMagick script for the GIMP one if
possible.

If anyone can think of a better option for that, please let me know.

- Eric