On Wed, 16 May 2012 11:27:21 -0700, Daniel Renfro <dren...@vistaprint.com> wrote:

Can someone explain the reason for the limitations for the JSON callbacks? I'm sure there are good reasons, but they're nonobvious to me. See: < https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Data_formats#JSON_callback_restrictions >

-Daniel    (User:DanielRenfro)

JSON callbacks can be initiated by 3rd party websites. Allowing json callbacks to act as the logged in user would allow any website on the internet to extract information that is supposed to be private and potentially make unauthorized write actions on the wiki. Private wiki content could be extracted. Articles could be edited in your name. And up till recently it would have also been possible to make some preferences changes that would effectively let someone take over your whole account.