On Jun 7, 2012, at 10:49 AM, Ryan Lane wrote:

>> I'm not sure if it makes sense to have the Labs/OpenStack/Nova management
>> interface on this same "new wikitech" wiki though. This means that all the
>> community projects running inside labs will/might use this same wiki to
>> document
>> their internal structure - which can (and should be) a lot of projects that
>> are
>> not Wikimedia engineering projects.
>>
>> Documentation for labs as being a Wikimedia project makes sense, but the
>> actual
>> projects inside and management maybe don't fit well inside the new wikitech.
>> like that of the labsconsole.
>>

> Do you mean they aren't *staff* engineering projects? Labs is meant to
> be a stepping stone. For most projects, the idea is that people will
> implement something in Labs and it'll get moved into production. The
> documentation for that project will then be the documentation for Labs
> and production.
>
> One of the biggest reasons I wanted to merge the wikis is because I
> feel that volunteer operations engineers should be documenting their
> infrastructure changes in the same place as staff operations
> engineers.
>
> - Ryan

No, that's not what I meant.

Contributions (from whomever) to for example the production cluster puppets
(through gerrit), that may have an RFC on wikitechwiki ahead of time sounds
awesome. Stuff can be proposed by whomever, and then implemented by whomever.
Then tested in labs and merged/pushed to production.

I was refering to projects that will not be foundation engineering projects, or
at least do not intend to be that.

*cut 2 paragraphs*

...when trying to come up with examples, it turns out that those examples
(Tool-Labs: early extension development, bot hosting, slow-query tools, ..)
probably wouldn't put their documentation on either wikitech or labsconsole, so
nevermind.

-- Krinkle