On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 7:21 AM, Arun Ganesh <arun.plane...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  As one of the most visited places on the internet, it is probably in the
> best interests of the planet that we decide its no longer worthwhile to
> support this fallen angel. Maybe it time to start showing a notice to IE7
> users that their days are numbered and wikipedia may no longer work as
> expected unless they move forward in their lives. It has to happen some
> day, so why not now and save the internet a lot of pain and suffering?

Absolutely not. We have debated the "show notice to broken browsers"
thing multiple times--and the answer is always "it's annoying as hell
when sites do it and it's not our place to do so."

The stance on "supporting crappy old browsers" has largely over time
turned into--continue supporting all browsers with at least 1% of our
readers (roughly,I don't believe that number's ever been set in stone).
Once they are less than 1%, continue supporting unless it's a burden
to do so and/or makes support for newer browsers impossible. And lastly,
never purposefully break a browser if you can help it.

-Chad