On 06/15/2012 08:41 AM, Chad wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 7:52 AM, Daniel Kinzler <dan...@brightbyte.de> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I was wondering what the policy is for the right to merge into core, i.e. for
>> being able to give +2 and "publish and submit" on gerrit. There sooms to be
>> total confusion about the policy for that.
>>
>> To me this seems more or less equivalent to commit access to svn, no?
>>
>> Anyway. I pretty much need it for the core/Wikidata branch, and wouldn't
>> mind to
>> have it for core/master, too.
>>

> The equivalence of having commit access to /trunk/phase3, at least.
> Right now the process is to ask on-wiki[0]. People have a chance to
> give a quick yay/nay, and it's given out. I can't see any reason to say
> nay :)
>
> -Chad
>
> [0] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Git/Gerrit_project_ownership

The "who gets merge privileges" policy is in this mailing list post from
March:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.technical/59681
and I encourage anyone to {{sofixit}} and paste it into a relevant place
onwiki.

If you merge into mediawiki/core.git, your change is considered safe for
inclusion in a wmf branch.  The wmf branch is just branched out of
master and then deployed. We don't review it again.  Because we're
deploying more frequently to WMF sites, the code review for merging into
MediaWiki's core.git needs to be more like deployment/shell-level
review, and so we gave merge access to people who already had deployment
access.  We have since added some more people.  The current list:
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/admin/groups/11,members

This is why we didn't just give merge rights to anyone who had core
commit access in Subversion.  More explanation at
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.technical/59681
.

I talked to Daniel in IRC and it turns out a lot of people are confused
about this;

Daniel replied:
> Yea... so I would have thought that anyone who had that level of access would
> have gotten merge rights automatically. Oh, well.

We did give merge rights automatically to the people who already had the
desired level of access.  But that level was deployment, not SVN commit.

Daniel brought up some more thoughts on IRC:

> If i want to be able to commit to extension X. i first have to file a
request on the "developer access" page, and then another request for
"project membership"? on a page that is named "project ownership"?

> Just have *one* page for all requests. gerrit account, group
membership, project ownership, gerrit repo... one request queue, at
least for all things that need feedback/voting

> Maybe it would help to have a page that briefly describes the
different roles, and which responsibilities and abilities they entail in
terms of git and gerrit, how to request the respective permissions, and
which policies govern the granting of these.

I can't follow up on these today because I'm swamped with other work,
but anyone else who wants to follow up, please do!

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Engineering Community Manager