On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 4:48 PM, Tim Weyer (SVG) <wikitec...@svg.name> wrote:
> The 'deleterevision' permission is an instrumental supply if you want to
> delete a revision of a page due to adding libelous information.
> But it also allows suppressing log entries and some sysadmins don't want
> to grant their administrators this possibility.
(1) It's not possible to suppress log entries ; it's possible to mask
the IP address / username or the edit summary.
The entries with the date and the fact data has been masqueraded are
still there.

(2) A sample about technical versus social rules enforcement. On the
French Wikipedia, we use these social rules:
- Admins use deleterevision for copyvio (yes, on fr.wikipedia, we
always had a very strong attitude against copyright and never reverted
it, we deleted articles and restore good versions in the past before
deleterevision)
- Oversights, a group especially created for this use, and so
especially trusted, could mask diffamation/libelous /confidential
personal information revisions.
- But technically, an admin could use its deleterevision right to mask
a libellous entry.

> 'deleterevision' as "delete a revision" is no additional possibility.
> Revisions can also be deleted with 'delete' and 'undelete' permission
> (but it's more difficult than 'deleterevision' process).
>
> My suggestion is splitting 'deleterevision' permission into:
>
> deleterevision: (un)deleting revisions only
> suppresslogentry: (un)hiding log entries only
Fine rights are always a good idea, up to the point extra rights means
unmanageable complexity for the people having to configure a MediaWiki
setup.

By the way, is it really useful to be able to text content but not the
IP/username or the edit comment  now I clarified a little bit how the
right work?

--
Sébastien Santoro aka Dereckson
http://www.dereckson.be/