On Jun 29, 2012, at 2:11 PM, Petr Bena wrote:

> Current idea:
>
> someone submit a config change
> this change is merged to testing branch
> we git pull on labs
> people test if change works ok and submit review to gerrit
> we merge to master branch or reject it
>
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 2:07 PM, Petr Bena <benap...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes but that would probably overwrite any previous tests

No, git-review checks out the the remote ref/changeset in a local branch,
preserving the proper context/history of that change set.
These branches are not removed or overwritten.

It does mean, however, that you can't randomly stack different tests upon
eachother, but that's a good thing and avoids common errors.

Herein lies also immediately the advantage: If a series of commits is submitted
that depend on eachother, git-review'ing the top one will give you all, just
like in mediawiki/core.git. Because we'd checkout a commit pointer with its
parent tree, not a single commit on top of the previous test state (which what a
testing branch would enforce).

And it saves maintenance by not having to continously reset test to master –
after (re-)submission and merging it for the second time.

I'm not (yet) very active in the "beta" project on labs, but I imagine it would
make sense not to introduce an neccecary double-review process here. They are in
gerrit pending merge to master, and they can be checked out on labs as it is,
that's a main feature of git-review. And afterwards checkout master again and
leave your comments on gerrit and/or review, merge it.

I'm not a big fan of Gerrit's overal design, but one the great aspects is that
each change proposal is a branch by design. So in a way, every time a merge
request is pushed to gerrit, you've got a branch new "testing" branch ready to
be checked out.

I agree with Chad, there is no problem with an actual "testing" branch, but if
we can avoid it with an (what could be) a better workflow with less overhead of
rebasing, dependency manipulation and double-merging etc. then..

-- Krinkle