On Jul 2, 2012, at 10:38 AM, Derk-Jan Hartman wrote:

> http://blog.jquery.com/2012/06/28/jquery-core-version-1-9-and-beyond/
>
> jQuery 1.8 should arrive within a month. Here is our thinking about the
> next two versions of jQuery to follow it, and when they’ll arrive:
>
> jQuery 1.9 (early 2013): We’ll remove many of the interfaces already
> deprecated in version 1.8; some of them will be available as plugins or
> alternative APIs supported by the jQuery project. IE 6/7/8 will be
> supported as today.
> jQuery 1.9.x (ongoing in 2013 and beyond): This version will continue to
> get fixes for any regressions, new browser bugs, etc.
> jQuery 2.0 (early 2013, not long after 1.9): This version will support the
> same APIs as jQuery 1.9 does, but removes support for IE 6/7/8 oddities
> such as borked event model, IE7 “attroperties”, HTML5 shims, etc.
>

> So what does this mean for us ? I think it's wise if we closely follow
> their approach to make sure we can still deliver the IE 6/7/8 support that
> we probably will still require by that time. If there is anything we need
> to make this as efficient as possible for us, we should probably start
> talking to them about that now, instead of in 2013 ?
>
> DJ

As included in the blog post, jQuery 1.9.x will be supported in the long run.
It is completely fine to juse use 1.9.x until we can drop support for old IE as
well.

On Jul 2, 2012, at 11:53 AM, Derk-Jan Hartman wrote:

> Well we can also include both versions and conditionally load them.
>
> DJ

I doubt this is possible. 1.9.x is supported in the long run and will continue
to get
bug fixes, but it will not get the new features added from that point onwards.

So unless we somehow control that nobody anywhere accidentally uses these,
we'll have to stick with 1.9.x for now.

-- Krinkle