Hi everyone,

As you know, when we moved to Git, we decided we would retire our home
grown "Code Review" extension for MediaWiki.  Having collectively not
had a lot of experience with Git-based code review tools, we decided
to try Gerrit.

Moving to Git was a very deliberate decision that was discussed over
many years, Gerrit wasn't discussed in much detail until after the
migration.  As discussed earlier on this list, we'd like to revisit
the Gerrit decision, and either commit to it for the next couple years
or so, or put in place a plan to migrate to some other system.

Here's the plan: let's discuss the alternatives here for the next
three weeks, keeping this page up-to-date based on the discussion:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Git/Gerrit_evaluation

Brion has graciously agreed to act as the judge and jury, and make the
call which way to go.  He's in a good position to be a reasonably
neutral but also very informed party.  He also doesn't have the
conflict of interest that I have (I've got an admitted pro-Gerrit bias
just due to not wanting to take on more work for my team's backlog).

You'll notice that the wiki page above has a "The case for Gerrit" and
"The case against Gerrit".  Chad is lead editor the pro-Gerrit case,
so the section "The case for Gerrit" is not NPOV, it's ChadPOV.  :)
Similarly, the anti-Gerrit case lead editor is David Schoonover.  You
shouldn't let that stop you from editing that page though.  In fact,
the anti-Gerrit section was entirely written by Ori Livneh as of this
writing.

Chad is coming to San Francisco the week of August 6.  We're planning
to have a meeting to finalize the decision when he's in town.
However, that will hopefully be a rubber stamp of whatever consensus
emerges on list, rather than something we're still trying to hash out.

So, if you'd like to see us move off of Gerrit, now is your chance.

Rob