> I think the "we" is a bit unwarranted. I don't hate Ruby and I certainly
> don't hate Ruby more than Java :-) I also don't feel the same about
> puppet; I do see some problems with it, but none of them have nothing to
> do with the fact that it's written in Ruby.

Well, 90% of the ops team.

> I think this discussion is pointless though. If we find a good tool for
> the job and it's clear how to install and maintain it, I don't see why
> we should care about its implementation language, at least from an ops
> perspective. I've seen horrible & difficult to operate software in
> Python and perfect ones in Ruby. I don't see how our personal
> preferences towards languages have any value here.

It wouldn't be a blocker, but it's a major negative, IMO. At minimum,
it's as much of a negative as Gerrit being Java. Few of us know ruby
very well, and managing the language and libraries is a pain in the
ass, thanks to the ruby community.

That said, it's no point worrying about this until we actually find
something that's a reasonable alternative. I'm on the pro-gerrit side,
as it works well for me and I see no other reasonable alternatives.

- Ryan