> I'm trying to understand the differences between:
>
> *phpMyAdmin
> *SAML
> *OpenID
> *OpenVPN

You should only consider SAML and OpenID. More exactly, you should
really only consider SAML, since the resources you are trying to
connect to only support SAML, and not OpenID. We can use OpenID for
proxied access to resources that don't support SAML, but it's very
likely nearly all of the resources we're trying to access support
SAML.

Ideally we'd integrate central auth with something that supports
multiple protocols. SimpleSAMLPHP supports SAML, OpenID, OAuth and a
few other protocols. It also can handle the circles of trust that we'd
need to create with the libraries/universities.

- Ryan