On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 8:47 AM, Jon Robson <jdlrob...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This would be best answered by Brandon.From a personal point of view if the
> mobile site still looks like a mobile site in a desktop browser at the
> start of next year I will be somewhat disappointed with myself.

+1

> I personally believe that mobile is the likely method for accelerating
> athenas development as there are less blockers to do that.

We should be looking at Athena (and other projects like it) as
guidance for how were going to approach contribution projects on
mobile. Our focus for the next year is to not just grow the readership
base but to also grow the contributor base. We've never had as many
eyes on Wikipedia as before who can't contribute. Mobile users can't
be second class citizens within the Wikimedia projects. We have to
build all new pipelines on mobile devices to make this happen. These
contributor methods may look drastically different then their desktop
counterparts.

Responsive design is an interesting technique for layout but it breaks
down for functionality. A mobile phone, a tablet, and a desktop/laptop
are used very differently. Mimicking the exact same functionality
means your failing to understand what's best for each device.

> A lot of the existing bottle neck from my perspective is due to a lack of
> volunteer developers in the many mobile projects which slows important
> things like this down. Aside from the new design we are also planning some
> cool stuff for Wiki loves monuments with image uploading via mobile phones
> to commons. Poke me off list if you are keen to give time/expertise to help
> accelerate important initiatives like this.

I'm going to re-iterate what Jon said here. We have numerous projects
going on now and we've been actively mailing, blogging, and tweeting
to get new testers/developers/etc. Were always eager to get more
people involved. If you need to catch up with what were working on
just check the mobile projects pages.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Mobile

--tomasz