On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 14:17:47 -0700, Krinkle <krinklem...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Benjamin Lees <emufarm...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 11:42 PM, Daniel Friesen
<li...@nadir-seen-fire.com>wrote:

> To top off the issues with Alias, it can't be used to setup a 404 image > thumbnail handler and it can't be used in the future plans of MediaWiki
> handling 404s internally.

Don't Wikimedia wikis use Alias?  How are they going to handle this?

Rephrase, how are they handling this?

As far as MediaWiki is concerned Alias and RewriteRules are no different.
They both send things to index.php and include a REQUEST_URI. So nothing is
going to change with Wikimedia.

This is just dropping Alias as the recommended way of setting up a short url
and instead only giving instructions on using the rewrite engine.

Also note by the way, that at the moment this thread is primarily about
changing the recommended setup in our documentation. Afaik MediaWiki can
and will (at least for a long while to come) support both. Even more
because the default set up out of the box is /w/index.php/Page_name, and
the only way we can make sure existing wikis don't break is by supporting
this.

Btw, on a related note the plan in 1.20 is to stop outputting /index.php/Article style urls by default. That config setup creates a number of issues and has almost
none of the advantages that short urls have.
Note that the router has a default /index.php/$1 rule so even though we will no longer output PATH_INFO style URLs bookmarks linking to PATH_INFO style urls will
not break. Also if a wiki is absolutely obsessed with these messed up urls
it's a very simple one-line config tweak to turn them back on.

-- Krinkle