Hi,

On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 12:42 AM, Daniel Zahn <dz...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Alright, so inserted the exact number of messages i deleted on Aug. 2
> in the same places/dates, that should bring message numbering and
> links
> back to the same state before i deleted that thread. As others have
> mentioned before there have been other inconsistencies in it before
> though, so you can most likely still find other issues but to the best
> of my knowledge they should be unrelated. Especially anything that is
> older than April 2012 should not have been affected by my recent
> change.

Thanks for your efforts, Daniel.

It doesn't appear that they've been entirely successful from what I
can see (details below), but I appreciate that you've gone out of your
way to try to fix this.

== Examples ==

After April 2012: The link
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2012-July/061691.html
was posted on meta to reference a message of mine from July 2012. That
ID (061691) had to be changed to 061614 after the rebuild from 2 weeks
ago (i.e. a translation of -77). After yesterday's rebuild, it's now
at ID 061621 (a translation of +7 consistent with the 7 empty messages
you've reinserted).

Before April 2012: The link
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2004-February/008418.html
was posted recently on wiki to reference the 2004 server move from San
Diego to Tampa. That link now points to an unrelated message. I've
tried a translation of -77 but I don't think that's the original
message either (there are several messages from Feb. 2004 about the
server move).

So, it appears that the archives have been corrupted inconsistently
besides the simple translations of -77 or -7. Someone can probably
verify that with other links (e.g. from the Signpost pages).

This is also consistent with the fact, pointed out by MZMcBride, that
the August 2012 archive page contains several "No subject" messages
that clearly don't belong there They've had their headers removed, and
they have IDs like 001363 or 004210 (that would roughly put them
around November 2002 and May 2003 respectively).

The conclusion is that the archives have probably been irrevocably
corrupted and that we'll have to fix all links manually (we can't use
a bot since there is no consistent translation of IDs).

--
Guillaume Paumier