On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 1:11 AM, Oren Bochman <orenboch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've tried to do this for translate ext last week - so here are a couple of
> questions:
> 1. is successfully runnig the test a requirement to successfully score on
> gerrit? (i.e. how is gerrit integrated)
Jenkins sets a Verified +1 or -1 on the change, depending on whether
the tests succeed or not, just like for core. A V+1 is required to
merge a change. So to merge any change into an extension, the tests
(that is, the core tests and any extension tests) have to pass. But
the extension isn't required to have tests, it's just that you can't
submit changes that break the core tests or break any tests that are
present in the extension. Existing extensions without any tests or
awareness of phpunit will continue to work just fine, as long as they
don't try to do crazy stuff that breaks a test in core.

> 2. does the extension need to include php unit?

No, all of the phpunit wrapper stuff is in MediaWiki core. Adding
tests to extensions is simple, see
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:PHP_unit_testing/Writing_unit_tests_for_extensions
.

Roan