On Aug 30, 2012, at 9:59 AM, Antoine Musso <hashar+...@free.fr> wrote:

> It is also a good practice to add a cover message on the new patchset to
> explain what it changes compared to the previous one.

Yes, very important. If you submit a patch set, please do leave a quick comment
explaining what you changed. I personally like to use bullet points for those
comments like:

* Rebased

or

* Addressed comments from John.
* Removed redundant code in foo.js.

>  PS3: rebased on latest master
>  PS4: fix the, now obsolete, function() call
>
> Where PS is used instead of "PatchSet".

This is not needed. Because if you leave a comment (and do it right, as in,
click "Review" on the main gerrit change page under the correct "Patch set"
heading) gerrit prefixes this to your comments automatically.

The only reason to need such a prefix is if you're putting it somewhere else,
such as the commit-msg – where such comments don't belong in the first place.

Putting it in the commit message is imho annoying because:
* It is not at all helpful when the commit is merged because only the last
version is merged. The rest are in-between steps during the review process and
discussion and details of that process belong in the review thread, not in the
commit message.
* And, as the author, it is kinda hard because you don't know the patch version
number until it is submitted, and someone else can submit a version while you're
working.

Having said that, do make sure that your commit message is still accurate and
explains the full change (not just the first version of the patch, nor just the
last amendment to the patch).

-- Krinkle