On 1 September 2012 00:38, Brion Vibber <br...@pobox.com> wrote:

> The current syntax is actually hard to machine-parse, with lots of
> language-specific overrides and weird options that combine in non-obvious
> ways. Not to mention that it overrides the simple link syntax... I wish
> when we'd renamed Image: to File: that we'd left the magic behavior only on
> the Image: alias so that links would be rationalized. :(

PROBLEM: Thumbnails are taking up a lot of disk space.
SOLUTION: Completely revamp image syntax in a backwards-incompatible manner.

There's something excessive there ...

Is it really the case that the server can't get atime of the images?
iIf it can, then we *know* which thumbs may as well be trashed and
regenerated as and when someone cares. If it can't, why not?

- d.