When I was hired as QA Lead almost seven months ago, WMF lacked a test
environment where

* code was routinely deployed ahead of production
* the test environment emulated the production environment closely
* aspects of the test environment (config, permissions, etc.) could be
easily and reliably manipulated for testing purposes

Today I am happy to announce that beta labs fulfills those needs.

Beta labs is intended to host the upcoming release of Mediawiki, plus those
extensions scheduled for deployment to production, for the purpose of
testing and investigation.

As of a little while ago, Mediawiki, AFTv5, New Pages Feed/Page Curation,
and UploadWizard are being deployed to beta labs from git automatically and
reliably.  The configurations for those extensions are also being managed
in git.  The environment itself is managed via puppet, and emulates
production to the greatest extent possible. Many many thanks to Antoine
Musso for making this possible.

As of this week, all these extensions are up, running, and configured to be
useful.  Note that they are not perfect, just useful.  For example, right
now on beta enwiki both AFTv4 and AFTv5 input forms appear on the same page
in many cases, because I was experimenting with what happens when these
extensions are not configured correctly.  Some actions from the Page
Curation toolbar never complete.  As these glitches become important to
testing, we will get them working correctly, and likely will find out some
interesting things about the software along the way.

The timing for this announcement is excellent, because new QA Engineers
will be joining WMF soon (more on that next week), and beta labs will be a
prime target for the browser-level end-to-end automated tests we will
shortly be creating. Also, we have been wanting to retire the 'prototype'
host for some time, and having AFTv5 etc. on beta labs should make that
possible.

In summary, beta labs is up and running with current code for Mediawiki and
critical extensions, and at this point the best way to improve beta labs is
to use it.

http://en.wikipedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki/Special:ArticleFeedbackv5
http://en.wikipedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki/Special:NewPagesFeed
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:UploadWizard