Also note that, as explained in more detail on the ticket[1], gadgetizing will
be a bad idea. We might as well not remove it at all. A preference is a lot
better than a gadget because (at least for now) its label will be localised a
lot better, and more importantly: The option will show up in the relevant
preferences section.

For reasons explained elsewhere, shipping gadgets by default with the Gadgets
extension is not an option and generally counter-productive and bound to cause
unwanted/unmaintained scripts to rot in wikis after being injected upon
installation.

That's now how the Gadgets extension work, and imho it should stay that way.

Instead of gadgetization, a better option would be to move them into an
extension (not the Gadgets extension). Which means the extension can:
* add it to the preferences section where it used to be
* use the same key as the old preference in core, so that users don't have to
reset their preferences (as opposed to "gadget-foo").

Especially the latter is in my opinion a must-have for the smooth migration of
any wiki that decides to install this "LegacyPreferences" extension after
upgrading their MediaWiki-install.

Besides, most of the preferences discussed here aren't worth a gadget (I guess
most communities will not want them in the preferences section after voting to
have them disabled/removed from core). They don't add any significant features,
only silly visual options that someone afraid of change insisted on in the past.

That is, of course, referring to preferences we would end up removing after
some kind of consensus. I'm not talking about all preferences or any preference
in particular .

In other words: If the story is "remove them from core, add as
default-available[2] gadget". Then please, *please*, keep them in core. Because
that wouldn't be an improvement over the current situation.

If we have good ground to remove them (because they're silly options that we
don't want end-users to be thinking about), then we remove them. Don't move
them from one junkyard to another.

-- Krinkle

[1] https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/40346
[2] default-available != default-enabled