On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 21:48:25 -0700, Dmitriy Sintsov <ques...@rambler.ru> wrote:
15 Октябрь 2012 г. 22:31:32 пользователь Mark A. Hershberger (m...@everybody.org) написал: Axel Thimm and Patrick Uiterwijk are working on packaging MediaWiki 1.19
for Fedora and have asked for advice on how to enable their MediaWiki
package to support WikiFarms out of the box.[0]
 I really don't know how to help them, but I'm sure that someone on this
list has something that would be helpful.
 If you have experience, please join in the discussion!

LocalSettingsGenerator should generate $wgConf members (and manipulate them - add wiki, delete wiki, upgrade wikis) instead of plain global $wg* settings generation. That's probably impossible in 1.19 without developing such feature then backporting it into 1.19.

They're not interested in that kind of "WikiFarm". What they're really requesting has nothing to do with wiki farms and is really a way to treat MW as if it were a system library.

Anyways, adding and deleting wikis is outside of the scope of our builtin config tools.

By the way, how does WMF add new configuration settings into their InitialiseSettings.php when new version of MediaWiki recieves them? Eg. $wgCacheDirectory which was added in 1.16 and many other new settings? Just manually? I do that manually in my farm, although there is always a chance to miss the new setting such way. Which may leave it into conflicting or suboptimal state. Imagine $wgCacheDirectory poitning to the same dir for all local hosts of farm, that's probably not a good thing.
Dmitriy

I doubt WMF uses wgCacheDirectory at all. It's default is false and WMF has Memcached. It doesn't even affect WikiFarms since it's not set by default. You have to explicitly set it yourself.

It is extremely rare that we introduce any new directory related config setting that has a default that would need to be updated for WikiFarms.