On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 12:18 PM, Luke Welling <lwell...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> The questions:
> Is my assumption that by default we put everything under GPL2 right?
> Are other FS/OSS licences OK to use?

Generally, I think the consensus has been "GPLv2 preferred, but any
FLOSS license is probably ok." I know there's more than a few extensions
that are Apache or MIT licensed.

> How paranoid are we? ie do we make a good faith effort at getting it right,
> or do we refer questions to internal counsel for a slower but safer answer?

We just assume good faith :)

> In this case my inclination is to licence the whole extension (containing
> the external library) as Apache2.0 but I'm happy to defer to normal process
> if there is one.

If you can't use an Apache library in a GPL extension, then licensing
the whole extension as Apache is probably fine.

-Chad