On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 6:48 PM, Luke Welling <lwell...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Is there a reason not to use the Yahoo championed approach of embedding a
> version number in all static file names so you can set a very long cache
> expires time and just add new versions to the CDN when a change is made?

That's what we used to do for CSS/JS--but we don't serve individual files
like that anymore--they're all served together via the resource loader.

Also, it wouldn't have helped much in this case--the problem was that the
HTML/CSS output changed in an incompatible way and we had old (or
new, during the rollback) versions of the HTML still being served via
Squid (they're cached for 30 days, unless something purges them like an
edit).

"Don't change the HTML in incompatible ways" is probably a good general
rule to live by--but having an easy way to say "start purging all pages on
$theseWikis from Squid/Varnish" would also be nice.

-Chad