On Mon, 2012-12-03 at 19:40 +0100, Federico Leva (Nemo) wrote:
> That data is hardly useful, it doesn't explain what it refers to and,
> even when it does, seems wrong. Compare e.g.
> <https://www.ohloh.net/p/mediawiki/contributors?query=&sort=commits>
[...]

ok, some info about this one. It seems Ohloh is counting commits in the
master branch. If you just use the git log to get the main stats:

$ git log --format=format:%ae > Authors
$ grep brion Authors | wc -l
4493
$ grep tstarling Authors | wc -l
2554

which is pretty much what you see in Ohloh.

In our case, we're counting *all* the activity in the repository (all
branches):

$ git log --all --format=format:%ae > Authors
$ grep brion Authors | wc -l
5425
$ grep tstarling Authors | wc -l
3068

Which is pretty much our data.

To be honest, I'm not sure which one (counting only master branch, or
all branches) is better: probably we should be providing both, or even a
separate count for each branch, so that users may decide which data
better suits their needs. I take notice about this.

Again, thanks for pointing it out.

Saludos,

        Jesus.