On 12/28/2012 11:30 AM, Tim Landscheidt wrote:
Quim Gil <q...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

[...]

This doesn't happen in groups defined by geography who do
not have any other responsibility, but I certainly share
Sébastien's concern about groups targetting other fields.

Still concerned?

Yes :-).  In my experience, creating groups will keep some
from lending a hand because they don't want to sign up for
anything, and keep some from engaging outside the "chain of
command" because they don't want to step on someone's toes.

That is also my experience. Oh, and the opposite is my experience as well. :D Humans are amazing beasts, especially around social structures.

In any case we are not inventing anything here:

http://techbase.kde.org/Contribute/Bugsquad
https://live.gnome.org/Bugsquad/
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad/
https://quality.mozilla.org/teams/
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/QA_Team

and long etc.

It would be interesting to know more about https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Bug_Squad - why was created and why got stalled. That experience surely contains many good lesson for the proposed MediaWiki Group Bug Squad.

Unfortunately, I don't have any data backing this up, but
you will have in some time :-).  So let's just see how the
numbers add up in summer.

Actually what matters is whether *you* will contribute handling bug reports. If you feel like you are contributing less and the ultimate cause is that a formal group exists, please report here - and don't wait until the Summer!

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation