Hello extension developers, extension users, and people who hate NFS:

I'm finishing up rewriting ExtensionDistributor[0] so it'll be more reliable
and not rely on NFS. In the process of doing this, I've changed how
it fetches the archives. Instead of cloning all of the repositories and
generating the archives on-disk, we'll now utilize the Github API to
generate archives for us (this is configurable, if we decide that Github
isn't going to work for some reason). I think this is really cool because
it supports both tags *and* branches.

Now, since the big move to Git, ExtensionDistributor hasn't really
worked for branches other than master. When we deploy the new
version, I'm thinking we configure $wgExtDistBranches as follows:

$wgExtDistBranches = array(
  'master',
  'SNAPSHOT-for-1.21',
  'SHAPSHOT-for-1.20',
);

We can go ahead and create tags for the existing released versions
to approximate snapshots of each extension as of the corresponding
MediaWiki release. Extension authors can update the tag (or maybe
use a branch, if they want) using the same name that we have
configured.

I'm willing to bikeshed (a little) on the "SNAPSHOT-for-1.21" tag
names, but I was looking for something that would be unlikely to
conflict with people's existing tags/branches, and clear that it's a
snapshot in most instances.

I don't have an exact date picked for deployment yet, but it'd be
nice to have the snapshot tag names sorted out before we do.

-Chad

[0] https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/37478/