On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 3:13 PM, Quim Gil <q...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
[snip]

> But there is another point here, which is how narrowed / inclusive are we
> with the "MediaWiki" word. You can see it as the name of a CMS. You can see
> it as a name of a wider community. Looking at the content at mediawiki.org
> it is obvious that such community does a lot more things than developing a
> CMS.
>
> Why not calling all those things under the MediaWiki umbrella, and refer to
> the CMS as MediaWiki Core?

I don't really like that idea. It may be because I'm just cranky and
dislike change ;) but MediaWiki and the rest of Wikimedia's technical
stuff are fairly orthogonal. I can work on MediaWiki without caring
about Wikipedia and friends. I could also work on non-Wikimedia
technical infrastructure without caring about MediaWiki. (However,
non-MediaWiki Wikimedia tech stuff needs a more concise name (or
names). There's a lot of things in this category including
"wiki-templates", local gadgets, puppet/ops related stuff, some of the
mobile stuff, and there is no good name to describe it.)

We use names to describe things. If the names become too broad they
could lose their usefulness. I would also be concerned that by making
MediaWiki (the CMS) subordinate to general wikimedia technical
activities by renaming MediaWiki to MediaWiki-core [and having
mediawiki=wikimedia-technical-thingies] it could alienate some
contributors who are primarily interested in MediaWiki and not
Wikimedia. On the other hand that could quite possibly be an imagined
problem.

As for actual hackathon naming (whatever happened to hackaton, I
thought that was a cute name) . I don't think it really matters. Call
it MediaWiki if its primarily focused on MediaWiki, call it Wikimedia
if its more focused on Wikimedia things. Call it Wikipedia if you
really must [As someone who originally came to Wikimedia land via a
non-Wikipedia project, calling Wikimedia things "Wikipedia" makes me
go grrr, but I recognize that Wikipedia is a more recognizable brand].
To be honest making naming requirements sounds like a bikeshed
discussion.

-bawolff