I'm actually at another conference right now - so I am limited in how much I
can answer right now. :)

I do not think there are answers to who is coordinating it - beyond that the
programme committee has been tasked with making sure it happens.

As far as how it fits into the larger scheme of things - I think the Hackathon
at Wikimania has become the main developer hangout and working part of the
conference. Also our best chance to do hands on with newbies, meet in person to
discuss complex projects, and spend a few hours collectively hammering out code.

I don't think it will matter where the folks organizing it are from - the folks
organizing last year were not in the DC area (although many of us were out
there several times beforehand anyway - so there was certainly familiarity.

As for me - I'm once again serving on the Wikimania programme committee - so
basically doing my part to make sure the Hackathon comes together and that
developers have good representation in workshops, etc. :) So I'm in a position
to help whomever is running it, but I like the idea of mixing up who the
primary people are so we can get variety in Hackathon programming - although
maybe folks would prefer consistency. I'm open to thoughts on that, obviously.
:)

I don't personally think it matters if the Hackathon coordinator is involved
with other parts of Wikimania, is local, is staff or volunteer, or is a Borg
queen - I think the main qualifier is a developer that can organize and willing
to lead conversations on coordinating the event, and then helping make sure
things run smoothly the day of. We had volunteers, staff, and a consultant
helping with it last year.

Okay - so that was more info than I thought I'd have time to share. :)

-Greg aka varnent

PS. God help us if we ever find a varnent in Hong Kong or elsewhere. As my
partner can attest to - one of me is one too many already.
Sent from my iPad. Apologies for any typos. A more detailed response may be
sent later.