On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 2:17 AM, Matthew Flaschen
<mflasc...@wikimedia.org>wrote:

> On 02/16/2013 01:50 PM, Basil George wrote:
> > *We have tried to address the privacy issues in obtaining IPs
> > here<
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants_talk:IEG/Mapping_History:_Revision_History_Visualizer_and_Improvement_Suggester_using_Geo-Spatial_Technologies#Addressing_privacy_concerns
> >.
> > As we have mentioned, no personal information of individual editors other
> > than their rough geographical locations (at state/country level) will be
> > used and displayed.
>
> Please see my detailed reply at
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants_talk:IEG/Mapping_History:_Revision_History_Visualizer_and_Improvement_Suggester_using_Geo-Spatial_Technologies#Addressing_privacy_concerns
>
> Bottom line, under the privacy policy this is only okay for logged out
> users, and logged in users who opt in.
>
> Matt Flaschen
>
> If there is no way of obtaining the IPs of registered users from history
page, then we propose a few changes to the project idea
(talk<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants_talk:IEG/Mapping_History:_Revision_History_Visualizer_and_Improvement_Suggester_using_Geo-Spatial_Technologies#Addressing_privacy_concerns>
):* Support the visualizer app only to those pages having large number of
edits so that cross-referencing users with geographical locations become
difficult.* Use only those IPs which are publicly available (unregistered
editor IPs & registered editor IPs who have chosen to make them public).Though
these changes may dilute the overall project idea, we still consider the
implementation of this project helpful for future geo-spatial research and
development of Wikimedia projects. The source code of this project may help
in the implementation of many other projects that may require rendering and
analysis of information on maps etc.Thanks and regards,

--
Basil.
http://researchweb.iiit.ac.in/~basil.george/