On 02/22/2013 03:17 PM, maiki wrote:
Is this up for discussion, or are we at the point of planning
deployment?

The latter. I can elucidate a number of scenarios where that is beneficial, but the primary one from my perspective is that of authenticating for external tools (like bots and webservices) written by community developers. Each of them currently need their own mechanism, have to implement baroque processes to associate a Wiki[mp]edia account, and increase exposure of credentials for the users.

OpenID neatly fixes all that in one, simple to implement, open and well known manner.

-- Marc