with MediaWiki.

Tpt

Brian Wolff <bawo...@gmail.com> a écrit :

On 2013-02-24 5:21 PM, "Brian Wolff" <bawo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2013-02-24 4:22 PM, "Malintha Adikari" <malintha.adik...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> > Hi,
> >

> > I am final year computer engineering undergraduate from University of
> >  Peradeniya. I would like to join MediaWiki for GSOC 2013. I am
interesting
> >  about these projects
> >
> > Write an extension to support XML Sitemaps without using command
lineAdd support for x3d 3D files to MediaWiki
> > Could you please provide more detail about these projects.
> >

> > Thanks & regards,
> > Malintha Adikari
>
> If its helpful in deciding - x3d would probably be much more useful
(particularly to Wikimedia,  but even generally to third parties). However
it would also be more difficult and also represents quite a bit more work.

> -bawolff

Sorry I realized that wasnt actually answering your question. What type of
information were you looking for?

For the x3d one - you would probably be doing two main things. First you
would need to write a filter that validates the file, and more importantly
strips any dangerous elements ( im not familar with x3d format, but for
example if user can also supply arbitrary macro scripts we would want to
filter that out probably, etc).

Second step would probably be to include some way of displaying the 3d
models inline in articles (maybe some webgl js library exists that could be
integrated in mediawiki, you would have to do some research there)

Its possible a gsoc project could be scoped to be just the first step, or
both steps depending on how much work that is.

For background research you may want to check out extensions that do the
same thing but for different formats, e.g. OggHandler (which isn't used
anymore but a lot simpler than its replacement), and PagedTiffHandler.

Emw has also started work on displaying 3d models of chemicals which sounds
related (not sure how related it actually is)

I hope that was helpful. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions.

-bawolff