Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> No, I was just talking about defining the indices (obviously, the query
> planner is out of luck if you don't define them properly).  E.g. in the
> PostgeSQL tables.sql file:
>
> CREATE INDEX archive_name_title_timestamp ON archive
> (ar_namespace,ar_title,ar_timestamp);
>
> Even though often this syntax is the same cross-db, since the whole file
> is db-specific (except MySQL and SQLite share), people have the option
> of db-specific index variants.

Ah, I see what you mean. Yes, some of that is linked to the capability
of the database itself (e.g. can it do a bitmap index scan). So perhaps
a suggested index in the abstract schema could be tied to such attributes,
and simply not created if the db cannot / should not. Or simply tie it to
a specific db type if absolutely needed. I can't recall seeing a case where
there would be a *choice* of indexes (e.g. if you can support this index,
use it, otherwise, do this one), but that's a SMOP once we encounter
that case I suppose. :)

--
Greg Sabino Mullane g...@endpoint.com
End Point Corporation