Hello Tejas,

On 02/28/2013 05:34 AM, Tejas Nikumbh wrote:
Hi,

I am Tejas Nikumbh, an undergrad at Indian Institute of Technology Bombay.
I will be participating in GSoC this year. [GSoC 2013]. In order to imporve
my chances for getting selected this year, I would like to start
contributing early on to Open Source development via Wikimedia.

Great!

Our default recommendation to newcomers has been to try to fix a bug from

Something that we are thinking of start recommending is to go through the code review queue, select a changeset and help reviewing with your comments and your vote.

See

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Gerrit/Reports/Oldest_open_changesets

Reviewing changes contributed by other developers is also a chance to learn about the projects developed here. It also requires you to setup your environment, get developer access and other steps that developers willing to contribute code need to go through.

What do you think? Hopefully the documentation will be good enough to guide you through. Otherwise just ask.

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation