On 03/18/2013 01:29 PM, Tomasz Finc wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> I'm pleased to announce that the mobile department has two new staff
> members. Yuri Astrakhan & Adam Baso join as sr. software developers on
> the mobile partner team. In this role Yuri and Adam will support
> projects like Wikipedia Zero, SMS/USSD, and J2ME to further the reach
> of our projects in geographic areas that have both financial and
> technical impediments to access Wikipedia. They will be working
> closely with Kul and Dan from the global development group.
>
> Yuri has been heavily involved in Wikipedia-related projects 2005-2007
> developing the API framework and querying subsystem, contributing to
> pywikibot code, and making millions of changes as yurikbot, while at
> the same time working as a software consultant for several large
> banks. In 2008 Yuri joined a small hedge-fund to lead the development
> of an automated trading platform. While there, Yuri continued various
> open source projects such as time-series database (timeseriesdb).
>
> After over five years, Yuri has rejoined the MediaWiki community and
> will be working for us from New York.

Yay, another New York City person! :-)  And I'm also excited to have
helped bring one of our experts from the Wikimedia community to WMF.

> Adam spent the past seven years working in the field of information
> security, specializing in application security, identity management,
> and encryption in the retail, government, and banking sectors. Adam
> led the OWASP Minneapolis-Saint Paul chapter for a couple of years,
> and proudly organized the OWASP AppSec USA 2011 conference. Adam and
> his wife are relocating to San Francisco from Minneapolis-Saint Paul,
> and they look forward to the opportunity to live in such a thriving
> software-friendly community.

For those of you who haven't heard of http://owasp.org/ it's very bnat
-- an effort to improve the security of all web-based applications
through open source tools, materials, and trainings.  It's great to have
another security expert onstaff!

> The mobile group is excited and proud to welcome both Yuri & Adam as
> sr. engineers to the partner team.
>
> This completes the team and allows them to work aggressively to reach
> our 4 billion page target through outreach projects like Wikipedia
> Zero.
>
> Please join me in welcoming Yuri and Adam to the Wikimedia Foundation!
>
> --tomasz

Welcome, Adam and Yuri -- we're lucky to have you!

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Engineering Community Manager