I'm not sure whether it'd be helpful for this project, but
https://github.com/akrennmair/speech-to-server looks interesting. Somebody
ported lame (the mp3 encoder) to JavaScript. The demo I linked to records
in the browser and streams it to a server over websocket.

*-- *
*Tyler Romeo*
Major in Computer Science
www.whizkidztech.com | tylerro...@gmail.com