On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 9:31 AM, Daniel Friesen
<dan...@nadir-seen-fire.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 00:19:53 -0700, Brian Wolff <bawo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Please don't. I've been trying to slowly move us away from depending on
> wgSecretKey's secrecy for security. Eventually I hope to try an eliminate
> dependence on it from extensions too. And in an ideal case, eventually stop
> setting it in the installer (unless you have an edge case where a little
> more entropy for CryptRand could be useful; Or maybe not, I need to double
> check which case that was, but it might not even exist anymore with our
> version requirements).
>
> I see people over and over asking for help and inadvertently handing that
> information which is supposed to remain secret right over in public.
>
> Instead of trying to make the paths a secret just don't put that data inside
> of public /tmp directories.
> I recommend setting your git director config to false and in an extension
> setup function set it to some path based on the upload directory.
> This is basically what we used to do with $wgTmpDirectory which was used by
> CACHE_DBA.
>

> --
> ~Daniel Friesen (Dantman, Nadir-Seen-Fire) [http://danielfriesen.name/]

Getting slightly offtopic, but a world where people stop spamming us
with $wgSecretKey would be nice ;)

However, you're still going to have $wgUpgradeKey, and $wgDBpass ...
Perhaps it'd be cool to split LocalSettings.php into LocalSettings.php
and PrivateSettings.php

> I recommend setting your git director config to false and in an extension
> setup function set it to some path based on the upload directory

Given that the upload directory is web accessible (and many people
don't even turn off php_engine in that directory [speaking of which,
why don't we add that to the default .htaccess for that directory]),
having arbitrary git checkouts in such a directory seems kind of scary
too.

--bawolff