Hey,

I'd say it's well informed paranoia. SMW is used on some largish wikis at
> Wikia and it apparently causes issues very often. The largest wiki with SMW
> at Wikia is very small in comparison to a lot of WMF wikis.

SMW has historically had a touch of the featuritis. Most of its features
> would need to be disabled on WMF wikis due to performance reasons, and then
> what's the point?

I fully agree with you when speaking about Wikipedia or whatnot. SMW, like
any software, has it's issues. Knowing these I think it'd be a bad idea to
try to deploy it on Wikipedia or Commons or whatever in its current state.
Wikitech and MediaWiki wikis are a different story though. The ill-informed
paranoia I was referring to consists out of thinking something not far from
"SMW will make any wiki uber-complicated and explode". This certainly does
not include concerns with deployment on the big WMF project wikis, which
should be taken seriously.

Cheers

--
Jeroen De Dauw