On 16/04/13 12:02, MZMcBride wrote:
> Greg Grossmeier wrote:
>> <quote name="Greg Grossmeier" date="2013-04-10" time="12:49:25 -0700">
>>> If all goes well with the testing, we should be able to switch over
>>> fully by this coming Monday.
>>
>> All went well, we're now fully on Redis.
>>
>> You can rejoice now.
>
> Hi Greg.
>
> I looked at your original e-mail and this e-mail, but I'm still not sure
> what Redis is or how it relates to the MediaWiki job queue.

Redis <http://redis.io/> is an in-memory key/value store, a bit like
memcached except with more features.

We've been using it as a memcached replacement for session storage
since the eqiad switchover in January, because it has a replication
feature which can be used to synchronise data between the two data
centres. It allowed us to switch from Tampa to Ashburn without logging
everyone out.

It's designed more as a persistent store than a cache. Memcached still
wins for simple unreliable object caching, so we're still using
memcached for that.

We previously stored the MW job queue in MySQL. This gave us lots of
useful features, like replication and indexing for duplicate removal,
but it has often been hard to manage the performance implications of
the high insert rate.

Among its many features, Redis embeds a Lua interpreter on the server
side. The new Redis job queue class provides a rich feature set
superior to the MySQL job queue, primarily by the use of several
server-side Lua scripts which provide high-level job queue functions.

-- Tim Starling