On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 10:27 AM, Petr Bena <benap...@gmail.com> wrote:
> SSL is requiring more CPU,

Not really.

"In January this year (2010), Gmail switched to using HTTPS for
everything by default. Previously it had been introduced as an option,
but now all of our users use HTTPS to secure their email between their
browsers and Google, all the time. In order to do this we had to
deploy no additional machines and no special hardware. On our
production frontend machines, SSL/TLS accounts for less than 1% of the
CPU load, less than 10KB of memory per connection and less than 2% of
network overhead. Many people believe that SSL takes a lot of CPU time
and we hope the above numbers (public for the first time) will help to
dispel that."

http://www.imperialviolet.org/2010/06/25/overclocking-ssl.html

Luis

> both on server and client and disable all
> kinds of cache (such as squid or varnish), and some browsers may have
> problems with it OR in some countries encryption may be even illegal.
>
> Whatever you are going to do, you should let people turn it off.
> Wikimedia project itself has horrible security (in this thread I
> started some time ago -
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/wiki/wikitech/277357?do=post_view_threaded#277357
> I was even told that wikimedia doesn't need good security at all,
> because user accounts aren't so critical there), forcing SSL will not
> improve it much
>
> On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 6:30 AM, Paul Selitskas <p.selits...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 5:55 AM, Tyler Romeo <tylerro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 9:07 PM, Paul Selitskas

>>> Well, with $wgSecureLogin the idea is that it is completely disallowed to
>>> log in, i.e., enter a password, over an insecure connection.
>>>

>> Ah, I missed that moment. Thanks.
>>
>> --
>> З павагай,
>> Павел Селіцкас/Pavel Selitskas
>> Wizardist @ Wikimedia projects

Luis Villa
Deputy General Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation
415.839.6885 ext. 6810

NOTICE: This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you
have received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about
the mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for
legal/ethical reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a
lawyer for, community members, volunteers, or staff members in their
personal capacity.