My apologies for not weighing in earlier. I'm actually subscribed to
the list (no need to cc me) but have been extremely busy with... well,
among other things, hiring someone to free me up to do more things
like this. :)

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 11:59 PM, David Gerard <dger...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 25 April 2013 00:36, Tyler Romeo <tylerro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 6:27 PM, Brian Wolff <bawo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Says who? I do not believe this is a requirement. It perhaps would be nice,
> >> if done sanely, but not a requirement.
>
> > Says the GPL. To be specific:
>

> I understand Luis was working on sane ways to do this in minified JS
> (and whether it is in fact required, or that counts as a compiled
> binary; though obviously it would be nice). So AIUI we're waiting on
> him.

Suffice to say that GPL was never designed or drafted with this use
case in mind, making all the usual disclaimers about the difficulty of
GPL interpretation even stronger. Frankly, I don't see much benefit to
spending list cycles arguing about the precise meaning.[1][2]

With that as background, I think it would be compatible with our
mission/culture, and with some interpretations of the license, to
provide licensing information (including links to relevant source
code) for any embedded third-party javascript as part of a default MW
install. If the solution for that also provides relevant information
on the non-minified-javascript parts of the source code base, that
would be a terrific side effect.

In a nutshell, there are two primary approaches to doing this (not
necessarily either-or):

* Add licensing information to About:Version or something similar.
Obviously some of this is already there (general GPL v2 license
statement) but having per-extension information, and in particular
ensuring that any extension with javascript has the necessary
metadata, would be useful. (I'm happy to help straighten out the
metadata for any extension where the licensing is unclear or messy.)

* Improve LibreJS so that it uses less obtrusive metadata, and then
work on Mediawiki to publish that metadata.

If someone on the list has interest *and time* to write code for
either/both of the above projects I'd be happy to talk to you about
the details, including introducing you to relevant other people
outside of Mediawiki where that makes sense.

Thanks-
Luis

[1] Relatedly: even if you disagree, and see a benefit in having a
discussion, I'm not going to engage in it. It isn't just a waste of
time unless it is paired with code; there are also people who'd love
to have a public statement so they can say "see, WMF agrees with me",
and I'm not going to place myself (or WMF) in any such camp.

[2] The utter annoying-ness of having this discussion at all is
basically why jquery is now solely MIT-licensed, which is a loss for
the GPL community.

--
Luis Villa
Deputy General Counsel

NOTICE: This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you
have received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about
the mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for
legal/ethical reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a
lawyer for, community members, volunteers, or staff members in their
personal capacity.