ESI for older browsers, and JavaScript otherwise are still on the table,
but that's orthogonal to the varnish cache purge -- if we use ESI, the
banner will be cached and will need to be purged. If we use JavaScript, the
JSON configuration blob will need to be purged. The only difference is the
actual "purging expression".